Nearly 800 students have tested positive for coronavirus in Newcastle as one of the UK’s biggest university unions blamed Northumbria University for reopening the campus and causing the ‘preventable’ public health crisis. All 770 students from the are – which was branded England’s new coronavirus hotspot – are self-isolating for 14 days along with their flatmates and close contacts. The students have posted signs on their windows reading ‘Covid +’ and ‘send beer’ as they are provided with food, laundry, cleaning materials and welfare support by authorities and the city council. Those who miss out on face-to-face tuition during their quarantine will also receive additional academic support from the university. A spokesman said the increase in cases comes in the week after students returned to the area and ‘reflects the good access to and availability of testing as well as rigorous and robust reporting systems’. They refused to say if the outbreak has taken place in one hall of residence or multiple halls and private flats across Newcastle as infections in the city rose by 60 per cent to a rate of 250 cases per 100,000 this week. But the University and College Union blamed the outbreak on the decision… Read full this story
- President Obama’s Commencement Address to Howard University (Full Transcript)
- Admin Test Slideshow
- A life of tests is no preparation for the tests of life – Guy Claxton
- ‘Like Another Katrina’: The Charter School Debate Fractures New Orleans Along Lines of Race and Class
- "Atavistic chemotherapy": A new form of cancer quackery based on misunderstanding evolution?
- Ron Crowder and Street Works: Doing Black Harm Reduction and Public Health During a ‘White’ Drug Crisis
- Something to celebrate: 50 favourite places in the UK
- Syllabus Showcase: Ruth Boeker, The Human Mind in Early Modern Philosophy
- A Wealth of Questions Remain in Facebook ‘Hate Crime’ Torture
- Sudden Impact
770 students at Northumbria university in Newcastle have tested positive for coronavirus as the city is named England's new Covid hotspot with infections spiralling by 60% have 295 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at October 2, 2020. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.