A 10-year-old boy has become Covid-19’s latest fatality on Guam, as the island struggles to rein in an outbreak that threatens to overwhelm its public health system. The boy, who had underlying health conditions, died on Sunday night at the US Naval Hospital, 10 days after contracting the virus. He is the 26th person to die from Covid on Guam. More than 1,890 infections have been confirmed – 249 of them US military service members – on an island of just 166,000 people. Testing has found Guam’s Covid-positive rate at 10%. The governor of Guam, Lou Leon Guerrero, offered her condolences to the boy’s family in their “immeasurable grief”, and said “this island grieves with you”. “The loss of a young child is different: children are innocent. “When that light is put out too soon … we have all lost. As a mother and a grandmother, losing a child seems especially senseless. But that’s because this virus isn’t reasonable, it won’t discriminate, it won’t get lazy, it will not grow tired, divisive or complacent. It will take what it can and it’s our job to protect each other.” Leon Guerrero said the battle against Covid in Guam “is the fight… Read full this story
- Boy, 3, dies, two children and woman suffer serious injuries in M62 crash
- Teenage boy (14) dies after car he was driving crashes near Londonderry and Donegal border
- Plateau: 10 die, four suspects held as gunmen strike again
- Boy, 1, dies after being left in hot car when grandmother passes out
- Boy, 3, dies in M62 horror crash
- Parents’ agony after boy, 7, dies from asthma attack during a day out at children’s farm
- ‘Brave fighter’ from Co Antrim, 10, died following surgery
- Army to return remains of boy who died at Indian schoolYou may also be interested in...
- Family of boy who died suddenly thank passers-by who tried to save him
- Boy, 3, dies after school building fall
Guam boy, 10, dies as Covid outbreak threatens country's health system have 326 words, post on www.theguardian.com at September 14, 2020. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.