A survey on the deteriorating air quality in Smart Cities in Maharashtra has pointed out that there is poor convergence between civic bodies and Smart City Corporations on air quality plans prepared under the National Clean Air Programme (NCAP) and the Smart Cities Mission. Parisar, a Pune-based NGO, prepared the report after surveying six Smart Cities — Pune, Nashik, Aurangabad, Nagpur, Thane and Solapur — last year. Authored by Sharmila Deo, Shweta Vernekar and Ranjit Gadgil of Parisar, the report said though it was mandatory for each city to report on their air quality under the Smart Cities Mission, there was no logic as to why the civic bodies in the cities proposed certain projects, ostensibly to improve air quality.The Central government launched NCAP in January last year to address the issue of urban air pollution. The main intent was to reduce particulate matter pollution by 20-30% by 2024. It said, “While a few air sensors (to monitor air pollution) have been installed in some of the cities surveyed, there is no clarity whatsoever on how the data generated by these sensors is to be utilised.”‘Often disconnected’The report said the project structurally lacked the capacity to fundamentally conceive and execute… Read full this story
- Expect poor air quality in Weber, Davis counties as temps begin to rise
- Boston and other smart cities run better, but they should be even smarter, report says
- Delhi air quality: Slight decrease in pollution due to steady winds
- Delhi's Air Quality Remains Poor for Third Day as Dust Storms Hit City
- Delhi air quality improving rapidly, still at severe levels
- Air quality in Delhi sees improvement, still in ‘severe’ category
- Heat, dry air trigger unusual spring streak of air quality alerts
- Delhi's pollution level remains severe for fifth day; air quality sees improvement
- Heat advisory, air quality alerts issued for central Pa.You may also be interested in...
- Artificial Intelligence: A smarter way to build smart cities
‘Poor air quality in Smart Cities due to lack of coordination’ have 314 words, post on www.thehindu.com at August 30, 2020. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.