The Chicago Board of Education on Wednesday voted to renew a contract that will keep police officers in 55 high schools for another year, while school districts in other areas have banished police. The vote came amid calls to end the School Resource Officer, or SRO, program, which is administered by the Chicago Police Department. The program was instead renewed with the approval of a one-year $12 million intergovernmental agreement by a 4-2 vote, with one board member abstaining. Chicago Public Schools CEO Janice Jackson and Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot allowed individual school councils to decide whether they would continue the SRO program. While 55 high schools will retain the officers for at least one more year, it was announced last week that 17 others had opted to eliminate them. The budget of the program was significantly reduced from the $33 million that was approved last year. “Local school communities have spent countless hours engaging parents, staff, and students in critical conversations and Chicago Public Schools is grateful that the Board has honored their decisions regarding School Resource Officers for the upcoming school year,” Chicago Public Schools Director of Media Communications & Strategy Emily Bolton said in a statement to… Read full this story
- Georgia School Board Votes Unanimously to Arm Teachers
- Polk County School Board votes to hire 90 armed School Safety Guardians
- Police: Bay Area school shooting threat a hoax, part of online contest to force evacuations
- Texas board of education approves a Mexican-American studies course (but they won’t call it that)
- Officer shoots armed former student at Illinois high school
- Ball State Board Member Among 3 Killed In Plane Crash
- Richmond School Temporarily Closed After 'Isolated Incident'
- If board approves, here's when the last day of class for Tulsa Public Schools will be
- Teenager Arrested For Threatening Columbus Area Schools
- 10 Ways Parents and Schools Can Prevent School Shootings Now (Op-Ed)
Chicago School Board Votes To Keep Police in Schools as Other Areas Cut Them have 300 words, post on www.newsweek.com at August 26, 2020. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.