Britain and the European Union on Thursday broke up their latest round of post-Brexit trade negotiations by ruling out a quick deal but voicing hope for agreement in the coming months.Prime Minister Boris Johnson had promised last month to add “a bit of oomph” to the stalled negotiations when he personally joined them last month.His main goal then was to get a framework deal struck by the end July that could assure U.K. businesses they do not have to start preparing for a messy no-deal breakup when the current transition period ends on December 31. But chief negotiators said this was unlikely because of a fundamental gap on major areas such as fishing rights and fair competition rules.“It is unfortunately clear that we will not reach in July the ‘early understanding on the principles underlying any agreement,” Britain’s David Frost said.He accused the EU of failing to recognise Britain’s economic and political independence and described the gulf between the sides on some points as “considerable”.‘One big deal’Mr. Frost’s counterpart Michel Barnier criticised London for refusing to move on its red lines.“By its current refusal to commit to conditions to open and fair competition, and to a balanced agreement on fisheries,… Read full this story
- Shame on you, Brussels! EU blocks life-saving cancer drugs from UK under post-Brexit rules
- Brexit LIVE: Look what you've done! UK blames EU for French fishing revolt – red-tape fury
- Joe Biden 'ignoring' Liz Truss signals to forge 'innovative' US trade deal
- Brexit news: You NEED us! Spain desperate for UK custom – data shows exports soar to £580m
- Kicking up stink! Spain abuses Brexit to force British expat to pay import tax on knickers
- Brexit LIVE: Where are the doom-mongers now? EU powergrab fails amid UK investment SURGE
- Brexit: Bitter bloc takes latest swipe at UK as 20 states break away from agreement
- Trouble looms for Brexit trade deal with US as new tax threatens trade war
- Brexit battle looms as heated border row on brink of explosion – EU issued new ultimatum
- Brexit LIVE: EU setting 'trap' for Boris after tricking May - 'He doesn't stand chance!'
U.K., EU rule out quick post-Brexit deal have 351 words, post on www.thehindu.com at July 23, 2020. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.