A 15 year-old boy has died of bubonic plague in Mongolia, according to the country’s health ministry. The National Centre for Zoonotic Diseases (NCZD) said the teenager from the western province of Govi-Altai had died from eating marmot meat.A quarantine has now been put in place on five districts in the province, which shares a border with China.”The result of a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test revealed on Monday night that bubonic plague caused the death of a 15-year-old boy,” Dorj Narangerel, a spokesperson for the health ministry, told a press conference.The death follows the news earlier this month of two people testing positive for the disease in the neighbouring province of Khovd. Advertisement The NCZD is currently organising a nationwide immunisation programme to stop the spread of the disease.Last year, a lockdown was imposed in the Mongolian province of Bayan-Olgii after reports that a couple had died from the bubonic plague after reportedly eating raw marmot meat.Russia has increased patrols in an attempt to stop people hunting marmots near its border with Mongolia.China issued a warning last week after a suspected case of bubonic plague was discovered in the autonomous region of Inner Mongolia. There is no vaccine for… Read full this story
- Explainer: Don't panic about China's "Black Death" plague cases
- Hunter, 55, becomes the THIRD person in China to catch the plague after eating a wild rabbit infected with the bubonic 'Black Death'
- Hunter in China catches bubonic plague after eating a wild rabbit
- China records third case of deadly bubonic plague
- China diagnoses 3rd case of bubonic plague
- Black Death burial pit found at site of medieval abbey in Lincolnshire
- Girl with Bubonic Plague Goes to the Zoo
- Did this rat carry the PLAGUE? 'Mummified' rodent found during building renovations dates back to the Black Death
- Bubonic plague fears as medics in decontamination suits storm quarantined plane and rush ‘infected’ passengers to hospital
- Black Death genome sequenced from DNA in 14th century skeletons
Bubonic plague: Teenage boy dies from 'Black Death' disease have 323 words, post on news.sky.com at July 14, 2020. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.