After starting out with Sid Caesar, he did the ‘2000 Year Old Man’ routine with pal Mel Brooks, created ‘The Dick Van Dyke Show’ and directed such films as ‘The Jerk.’ Carl Reiner, the quintessential straight man for Sid Caesar and Mel Brooks who based beloved sitcom The Dick Van Dyke Show on his own life and jump-started Steve Martin’s big-screen career, has died, his assistant Judy Nagy confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter. He was 98. The influential writer, director, actor, author and multiple Emmy Award-winner died Monday night at his Beverly Hills home of natural causes, Nagy said. Son Rob Reiner, the actor, writer, director and Oscar-nominated producer, said in a tweet Tuesday morning: ”Last night my dad passed away. As I write this my heart is hurting. He was my guiding light.” TMZ first reported the news of his death. Born in the Bronx, Reiner came to prominence in the 1950s as a performer and writer on Caesar’s legendary live variety programs Your Show of Shows and Caesar’s Hour, the wacky live primetime variety shows that also served as career springboards for Brooks, Woody Allen, Larry Gelbart, Neil Simon, Howard Morris, Imogene Coca and others. From those writers rooms, he and… Read full this story
- Screen Legend Carl Reiner, 96, Wants To Live Until 2020 So He Can Help Dump Trump
- Carl Reiner Wants to ‘Stick Around’ Until 2020 So He Can Vote Trump Out (Video)
- Carl Reiner Pays Tribute to ‘Genius’ Neil Simon: ‘The Guy With the Voice of a Turtle’ (Exclusive Video)
- Carl Reiner, 96, says he wants to live until 2020 to vote Trump out of office
- Washington state store clerk left to die by teen robbers after suffering heart attack, cops say
- Rescued pitbull from Paterson NJ on the mend after being left to die
- Shoplifter who left his dying toddler at crash scene sent to prison
- Playwright Neil Simon dies; wrote 'The Odd Couple,' 'The Sunshine Boys,' more
- Neil Simon dies at 91, Broadway’s master of comedy
- Neil Simon, Broadway's master of comedy, dies at 91You may also be interested in...
Carl Reiner, Who Always Left Them Laughing, Dies at 98 have 356 words, post on www.hollywoodreporter.com at June 30, 2020. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.