HONG KONG (Reuters) – Hong Kong told the United States to keep out of the debate over national security legislation being imposed by China, and warned that withdrawal of the financial hub’s special status under U.S. law could backfire on the U.S. economy. FILE PHOTO: Anti-government demonstrators sit as they were detained during a lunch time protest as a second reading of a controversial national anthem law takes place in Hong Kong, China May 27, 2020. REUTERS/Tyrone Siu President Donald Trump is due to announce later on Friday his response to the Chinese parliament’s advancement this week of security legislation for Hong Kong, which many lawyers, diplomats and investors fear could erode the city’s freedoms. The former British colony has been racked by civil unrest amid fears Beijing is curbing the high degree of autonomy it has enjoyed under a “one country, two systems” formula adopted when it returned to Chinese rule in 1997. “Any sanctions are a double-edged sword that will not only harm the interests of Hong Kong but also significantly those of the U.S.,” Hong Kong’s government said late on Thursday. From 2009 to 2018, the U.S. trade surplus of $297 billion with Hong Kong was the… Read full this story
- Xiaomi’s $10bn mega IPO may be a double-edged sword for Hong Kong
- Hong Kong scrambles for talent in battle for Nasdaq biotech crown
- Looming $10 Billion IPO Has Hong Kong Bracing for a Cash Crunch
- Xiaomi's $10 billion IPO risks a cash crunch in Hong Kong
- Asia: Executive Director of Hong Kong-based AHRC accused of harassment against women
- Hong Kong scrambles for talent in battle for Nasdaq's biotech crown
- Theresa May accused of misleading parliament over man denied cancer care due to disputed immigration status
- Burkina Faso: How Citizens Took to the Streets to Remove a Dictator, Then Stayed There
- Pope Francis and President Erdogan condemn Trump’s Jerusalem plan, call for maintaining its neutral status
- Did Drinking Give Me Breast Cancer?
Hong Kong warns removing U.S. special status is a 'double-edged sword' have 318 words, post on www.reuters.com at May 29, 2020. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.