Angela Merkel has laid out a plan for Germany exiting the lockdown as the rate of daily coronavirus infections in the country continues to drop.The German chancellor announced a loosening of the measures after meeting with the country’s 16 state governors.She said restaurants and other businesses will be allowed to reopen in the coming weeks.Bundesliga football can resume this month and schools will begin to reopen in the summer term.Pressure to relax the rules had been growing as a nationwide lockdown achieved the country’s goal in slowing the spread of COVID-19. Advertisement The reproduction rate of the novel coronavirus in Germany is currently estimated at 0.65, according to the Robert Koch Institute for infectious diseases.Known as the R number, the rate is one of the key factors in deciding on whether restrictions can be eased. More from Coronavirus Coronavirus: What might change when lockdown restrictions are eased? Coronavirus: Barclays defends customer aid as activists target HQ Coronavirus: Drug dealers ‘dress as joggers and use fake NHS ID badges’ in lockdown Coronavirus: Thai elephants sent home from sanctuaries as pandemic hits tourism Coronavirus: Black people four times more likely to die with COVID-19 than white people – ONS Coronavirus: A 14%… Read full this story
- States move to lift restrictions on child sex-abuse lawsuits
- Logan Wolf's clutch 3 helps lift No. 7 Cedar Falls past No. 5 Iowa City West
- Donald Trump’s Economic Approval Rating Falls as Harley-Davidson Blames Tariffs for Poor Quarterly Performance
- US mortgage rates fall to 3-month low; 30-year at 4.63 pct.
- Fox News Host Sean Hannity Has Seen His Ratings Fall as Buddy Donald Trump’s Problems Have Increased
- Seven-minute lockdown at Niagara Falls High School ends with arrest
- Fed lifts key interest rate for 4th time this year, but signals plans to ease off
- US mortgage rates fall: 30-year at 4.81 percent
- U.S. average mortgage rates fall, spurring homebuyers
- US unemployment rate falls to five-decade low of 3.5%
Coronavirus: Germany moves to carefully lift lockdown as infection rates fall have 330 words, post on news.sky.com at May 7, 2020. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.