Michelle Obama speaks as then-President Barack Obama, former President George W. Bush and his wife, former first lady Laura Bush, look on during the unveiling of the Bushes’ portraits in the East Room of the White House in May 2012. (CNN)The news on Tuesday that President Donald Trump’s White House may not be hosting a ceremonial unveiling of former President Barack Obama’s official White House portrait raised concern that what has for decades been one of the most lighthearted interactions between presidents, regardless of party, is no more. The White House Historical Association, the private nonprofit organization founded in 1961 by Jacqueline Kennedy to care for historic elements of the White House, on its website describes the presidential portrait unveilings as “often bi-partisan events with warm greetings and collegial speeches exchanged by the president and their predecessor.” The relationship between Trump and Obama, especially of late, has been quite the opposite of “warm” and “collegial.” Trump has accused Obama of criminal activity; Obama has made thinly veiled jabs at Trump’s leadership. Despite initial talks between the current administration and its predecessor to pick a date this spring for the portrait event, communication has now broken down to the point of… Read full this story
- White House Press Corps Fooled by ‘Lego’ Gamer Posing as Reporter
- White House considering supporting India, S Africa move at WTO on COVID vaccines
- White House Fact Sheet Describes AR-Pistols with Stabilizer Braces as ‘Concealable’
- POW/MIA flag moved back atop White House
- National security adviser says White House is looking at options if Navalny dies in Russian custody
- White House on Whitmer's handling of pandemic: She's shown 'serious' grit
- Conservatives slam ties between liberal groups, White House
- DON'T MISS: An inside tour of the White House
- Easter Bunny pays surprise visit to White House briefing room
- Top House Democrat unveiling bill to invest in 'human capital'
A look back at White House portrait unveilings -- a tradition that may be on its way out have 305 words, post on edition.cnn.com at May 20, 2020. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.