Email Updated April 20, 2020 07:56:59 Photo: Coogee Beach, popular with backpackers, re-opened for exercise today. (Instagram: Gary Finn) Map: Sydney 2000 Here’s what you need to know this morning.Randwick Council lifts beach banA council in Sydney’s east will re-open its beaches for exercise from today despite NSW Health singling out the region as a coronavirus hotspot.The barriers will come down at Coogee, Maroubra and Clovelly — identified by health authorities as high risk for infection last month — after being closed for a month.Randwick Mayor Danny Said stated he was confident people got the message and would practise social distancing while walking, running, swimming or surfing.Sunbaking, sitting on the sand or rocks, taking children to play and gatherings for reasons other than exercise are still banned.Police shoot man dead in RockdalePolice have shot a man dead in Sydney’s south.NSW Police said officers were called to Rockdale at 11:45pm yesterday to respond to reports about the welfare of a man.Officers found a 51-year-old man who, allegedly armed with knives and a hammer, threatened police before being shot.He was treated by NSW Ambulance but died at the scene. Police have launched a critical investigation.Drive-through testing in south-west Sydney Photo: Drive-through COVID-19… Read full this story
- Police Shoot Driver, Sky Garden Opens, Paralympians | Top News
- Pictured: Victim of 'horrific' hate murder was found dead in cemetery used as cruising spot by gay men
- Coronavirus map LIVE: Britons dealt crushing blow as Boris set to BAN indoor gatherings
- Top news of the day: India holds first meeting with Taliban; India’s GDP grows 20.1% in April-June quarter, and more
- Rescue dogs ready for adoption shot dead by council 'to stop spread of Covid'
- Police under fire over new checks on 'non-essential' shopping despite Home Secretary's opposition
- 25 Year-old American Shoots Himself after Standoff with Police
- 5 dead, including gunman, in Northern California shooting rampage
- Surfer 'has arm bitten off' in deadly shark attack off popular beach in Australia
- Shootings Have Soared. Is the N.Y.P.D. Pulling Back?
Sydney news: Randwick Council to re-open beaches after coronavirus lockdown, police shoot man dead in Rockdale have 332 words, post on www.abc.net.au at April 20, 2020. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.