PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — This year’s race for Oregon secretary of state so far has seen Democrats trying to regain their dominance of the executive branch while Republicans work to defend the sole statewide office they hold. The only candidate who has experience in the Secretary of State’s Office, Rich Vial, hopes to change that narrative, Oregon Public Broadcasting reported Vial resigned his position as deputy secretary of state in January and says instead of being a presumed leading contender for the Republican nomination, he will run as a non-affiliated candidate. He’s hoping that the roughly 34% of Oregon voters who don’t currently subscribe to a single party, can propel him to the November ballot. “I think voters generally will come to a place where they say that the two-party system is broken and we need to do something different,” Vial told OPB, nodding to repeated legislative sessions marred by disputes and Republican walkouts. “It sure feels like with the last couple of sessions we’ve had, this could be the time.” Others in the running for Secretary of State include Democratic state Sens. Shemia Fagan and Mark Hass, and former Congressional candidate Jamie McLeod-Skinner — and state Sen. Kim Thatcher,… Read full this story
- State Republicans cool to youth-voting bills
- Arkansas' attorney general says she's running for governor
- Can Trump's anti-mail-voting crusade hurt him in key states?
- Trump could sink the House GOP in suburbia
- Record number of GOP women winning House primaries, but most face tough fall races
- GOP pouring money into a California Democratic House seat to try to flip it
- GOP House incumbents are leaving at a record pace
- 2020 Daily Trail Markers: Democratic Senate candidates raise serious cash
- 2020 House races: The House seats Democrats and GOP are trying to flip in 2020
- New climate group will offer district-specific policy 'menus' to every congressional candidate
Secretary of state candidate leaves GOP to run nonpartisan have 303 words, post on apnews.com at April 9, 2020. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.