Boris Johnson plunged Britain into lockdown today – urging everyone in the country to stop all ‘non-essential’ contact with others. The PM warned that the coronavirus was now in a phase of rapid spread across the UK, and it was time to take radical action to stop the NHS being swamped. Anyone in a household where someone has been showing symptoms should isolate, he said. And the rest of Britain should avoid all contact that was not necessary – with restaurants, bars and cinemas and travel off limits, and a ban on large gatherings. At a press conference in Downing Street, Mr Johnson said: ‘Now is the time for everyone to stop non-essential contact with others.’ Admitting that the squeeze could last 12 weeks, Mr Johnson said that meant ‘you should not go out, even to buy food or essentials’ – and acknowledged was ‘asking a lot’. ‘If necessary, you should ask for help from others for your daily necessities. If that is not possible, you should do what you can to limit your social contact when you leave the house to get supplies,’ he said. ‘Now is the time for everyone to stop non-essential contact with others and stop… Read full this story
- Angry Boris Johnson refuses to start Covid inquiry this year despite Cummings bombshells
- Cost of living crisis lies in wait for Boris Johnson as he fights to save his job
- 'Boris has been the most liberty-oriented leader in the West': Readers on the week's top stories
- 'What nonsense' Fabricant lets rip after senior Tory claims Boris is 'blackmailing' MPs
- Thursday evening UK news briefing: No 10 accused of blackmailing rebel Tory MPs
- COVID-19: Which coronavirus restrictions are changing in the UK and the Republic of Ireland?
- Peston twists knife into Boris and backs old friend Allegra: 'She's blown up PM's claims'
- Migrant Coverup: Home Office to Scrap Daily Illegal Migrant Figures
- Primark confirms date for new website launch – but there's no home delivery yet
- Partygate shows why politicians are ‘ultimate poker players’ in truth game
UK must go into coronavirus LOCKDOWN: Boris Johnson orders Brits to work from home, keep out of pubs and clubs and tells the whole country to stop all 'non-essential' social contact have 326 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at March 16, 2020. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.