North Korean leader Kim Jong-un received a personal letter from U.S. President Donald Trump soliciting Pyongyang’s cooperation with efforts to fight the coronavirus pandemic, said Kim’s younger sister in a statement on Sunday. Kim Yo-jong, Kim Jong-un’s sister and first vice department director of the North’s ruling Workers’ Party Central Committee, called Trump’s decision to dispatch a missive a “highly estimated” move coming “at a time as now when big difficulties and challenges lie in the way of developing the bilateral relations.” In an English-language statement carried by the North’s official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA), the younger Kim said Trump praised efforts made by Kim Jong-un “to defend his people from the serious threat” of the epidemic.The White House so far has not commented on Trump’s message to Kim, though U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo last week said Washington had offered humanitarian help to North Korea and Iran amid the global coronavirus outbreak.North Korea denies it has any coronavirus infections in the country, though observers have doubted the claim. In January, the regime closed its borders with China, Russia and South Korea to prevent the virus from overwhelming its ill-equipped health care system. It remains unclear whether Pyongyang… Read full this story
- Will Donald Trump and Kim Jong Un be the unlikely duo that ends the Cold War in Vietnam?
- Trump says Kim Jong Un offered "small apology" for missile testing and that he wants to meet
- Donald Trump invites Kim Jong Un to meet him at DMZ; North Korea calls offer 'very interesting'
- Spike Lee tells Trump to stop calling COVID-19 the "Chinese virus," says he's putting Asian Americans "in danger"
- Donald Trump meets Kim Jong-un in demilitarised zone for first time
- Trump says Dems 'disparaged' COVID-19 vaccine while he was president: 'Now they wonder why' some are hesitant
- Facebook removes Trump's post saying COVID-19 is less deadly than seasonal flu
- Donald Trump and Kim Jong Un face year-end deal pressure, but head toward a new crisis
- Barron Trump Tested Positive For Covid-19 Along With President, First Lady
- Trump agrees to meet with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un on denuclearization
Trump writes Kim Jong-un about Covid-19 have 358 words, post on koreajoongangdaily.joins.com at March 23, 2020. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.