Washington (CNN)The White House’s capacity to control the coronavirus crisis, the credibility of its upbeat messaging and its efforts to build public trust are about to face a grave test as health officials report a spike in confirmed cases and new deaths on US soil. Reassurances by President Donald Trump and his top aides that Americans should remain calm went only so far on a day when the number of American fatalities jumped to six, the total of cases topped 100 and experts warned that the true scale of infections was likely far higher than the spotty medical testing carried out so far shows. The days ahead will show whether the Trump administration’s repeated shading of the truth will hamper its ability to unite the nation during an emergency. A White House often enveloped by chaos — which has stigmatized expertize and prioritized loyalty among top officials — will be called upon to unleash the power of a coordinated and unified federal government. So far, and into Monday, Trump’s team has portrayed the novel coronavirus as a limited threat to most Americans. It has done little to prepare the country for worst-case scenarios that may not come to pass but… Read full this story
- Too good to be true? Doubts surface over EU bank stress tests
- White House 'tried to cover up Trump call details'
- What happened at Donald Trump’s inauguration and when will the new President move into the White House?
- Obama speaks out on Iran as White House sharpens tone
- White House may ask foreign visitors what social media sites they use and share mobile phone contacts in immigration crackdown
- An introduction to Ireland for President Donald Trump to mark the Shamrock Ceremony at the White House
- The Donald gets standing ovation as he accepts Republican nomination in race for White House
- Europeans put trees through stress tests
- White House pushes for START, but ratification remains uncertain
- Barack and Michelle Obama join Bon Jovi and Lady Gaga on stage in final last bid to put Hillary Clinton in the White House
Spread of virus gives White House a grave stress test have 337 words, post on edition.cnn.com at March 3, 2020. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.