Britain’s high streets will shut down this evening as many retailers and eateries including Greggs, Nandos, John Lewis, KFC and McDonald’s shut their doors amid the coronavirus crisis. Costa Coffee along with dozens of other eateries closed their doors this morning as other businesses prepare to shut shop tonight. Many chains said they would be temporarily shutting stores in the UK, as retailers all over the country begin to deal with the fall out from the illness that has so far killed 335 people, with over 6,650 cases having been confirmed. This afternoon pastry favourite Greggs said it will close its entire store estate from the end of business on Tuesday, saying operating a takeaway service was not enough to maintain social distancing. Popular fried chicken chain KFC has also started closing its restaurants today, and confirmed they will all be shut by Wednesday March 25 until further notice. Many people across the UK will be laid off work due to the virus and chancellor Rishi Sunak is preparing a fresh coronavirus economic bailout to protect the UK’s five million self-employed workers. He had announced on Friday that the Government would cover 80 per cent of employers’ wage bills in a… Read full this story
- Wilko is latest retailer to announce stores will be closed on Boxing Day – it joins M&S and Poundland
- Petrol prices set to hit record high
- Piers Morgan vows to pay all NHS health workers parking fines during coronavirus fight
- Britain's biggest clone towns revealed - have chain stores taken over from independents where you live?
- The Coronavirus Crisis Tears Europe Apart at the Seams
- Coronavirus news from the Bay Area: June 18-19
- Coronavirus news from the Bay Area: June 24-25
- Now THAT's why we left! 'First mover' Britain to eclipse EU in new power race
- Coronavirus latest: Germany imposes quarantines to counter fresh outbreaks
- Europeans Erect Borders Against Coronavirus, but the Enemy Is Already Within
Britain's high streets shut down: Now Greggs and KFC is closing stores as restaurants and cafes including McDonald's, Nandos and Costa shut up shop even for takeaways amid coronavirus crisis have 314 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at March 23, 2020. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.