Washington (CNN) The US will sign an agreement with the Taliban “if and only if” the week-long reduction in violence is successful, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Tuesday. The US is edging toward a peace agreement that could trigger the long-anticipated reduction of US troops serving in America’s longest war. Under the plan, the American military presence would be reduced to 8,600 troops from the current 12,000 to 13,000 over the course of 135 days, according to two sources familiar with the agreement. Speaking from the State Department Tuesday, Pompeo said that “so far, the reduction in violence is working.” “It isn’t perfect, but it’s working,” he said. “It’s got to work for a long time while this political resolution is driven forward.” Intelligence community feels immediate impact of Trump’s diplomatic ‘disruptor’ The top US diplomat said that the US-Taliban agreement, which would be signed “on or about February 29,” has a timeline “for a conditions-based and phased troop withdrawal and for the commencement of intra-Afghan negotiations.” Read More Pompeo said that the “conditions-based withdrawal,” if it comes to bear, “sets a high bar for the things that will take place in order for America to ensure that we… Read full this story
- Pompeo says Kim Jong Un doesn’t care if U.S. leaves Iran deal
- Pompeo says U.S. is with Israel in fight against Iran
- Rouhani tells Macron Iran nuclear deal ‘non-negotiable,’ Pompeo says ‘fix it’ or let it die
- Pompeo says Israelis have ‘right to defend’ Gaza border
- Pompeo Says Will Work To Strengthen, 'Fix' Iranian Nuclear Deal
- The Latest: Pompeo says US stands with allies against Iran
- US concerned about Iran’s expansion in Middle East: Pompeo
- Trump says he would walk away if Kim summit isn’t ‘fruitful’
- Senate approves Mike Pompeo to lead Trump's State Department
- Poll: Was the Good Friday Agreement a success or failure?
Pompeo says US will sign an agreement with Taliban 'if and only if' reduction in violence is successful have 306 words, post on edition.cnn.com at February 25, 2020. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.