A lawmaker of India’s governing Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) has criticised Mahatma Gandhi, the country’s freedom struggle icon, describing his leadership of the movement as nothing but a drama planned before by the British colonial rulers. Gandhi was one of the key leaders of India’s freedom movement in the early part of the 20th century (1915-1947). Addressing a public event in Bengaluru city over the weekend, BJP politician and former minister Anant Kumar Hegde said: “None of these so-called leaders were thrashed up by the cops even once. Their independence movement was one big drama”. He further asked: “How could such people (Gandhi) come to be called Mahatma. It (the freedom struggle) was staged by these leaders with the approval of the British. It was not a genuine fight. It was an adjustment freedom struggle”. Some netizens immediately lampooned Hegde for his remarks. They asked that if he believes Gandhi’s efforts to seek freedom for Indians was drama, then he should explain why his party’s top leader Prime Minister Narendra Modi always projects himself as an ardent fan of Gandhi. You will continue to bow down in front of him. This is is biggest defeat to your ideology. pic.twitter.com/oUDPKMncMV —… Read full this story
- Karnataka BJP president Nalin Kumar flags off 'Gandhi 150' celebration
- Bharat Ratna: Siddaramaiah lashes out at BJP
- Savarkar a murderer, says Siddaramaiah
- Don’t politicise the Nobel
- Under the new consumer protection law, class action suit can be filed against companies, says Ram Vilas Paswan
- Top10: Should India bothered about its IMF quota?
- Are Soas students right to ‘decolonise’ their minds from western philosophers?
- Justin Trudeau: the rise and fall of a political brand
- ‘This Is Who We’ve Been Waiting For’: A Diva on the Precipice
Netizens Slam Indian BJP Lawmaker For Calling Gandhi's Approach to Freedom Struggle a 'Drama' have 293 words, post on sputniknews.com at February 3, 2020. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.