Cornish comedian Jethro is retiring after more than 50 years performing. The 72-year-old, real name Geoffrey Rowe, said his current dates will be his last and thanked fans. He said: "I think it's time to hang up my mic. "It's been a hard decision but my memory has made it easier. A big thank you to everyone that has come to see me over 50 years." He has sold four million DVDs and made nine appearances on TV shows hosted by Des O'Connor. He made his television debut on Treasure Hunt where he portrayed a pirate co-host. He also appeared on Jim Davidson's Generation Game five times – twice giving a demo of how to make a Cornish pasty. ( Image: Cornwall live WS) The news he will quit comes a year after fears for his health when he left a stage early, saying: "I cannot do this anymore." He commented on Facebook after announcing his retirement: “I'm sure I enjoyed you're company more than you enjoyed mine.” Jethro added: “I will honour all my dates booked in, but as of the end of December I will no longer be working my theatre tours.” Read more Showbiz editor’s picks Tearful… Read full this story
- 'The Fight of the Century': A divided US nation 50 years on
- Volleyball legend Hue starts new chapter in storied career
- It's 50 years since Play School first hit our screens - but where are the presenters now?
- Ali, Frazier and the Fight of the Century 50 years later
- Pauline Quirke is out of Birds of a Feather after huge row with Linda Robson despite being best friends for more than 50 years
- St John workers recognised for 50 years' service to order and Manawatū communities
- With second Indy 500 victory, Takuma Sato’s special gifts include a 50-year-old lunchbox
- Out of this world: Alan Shepard put golf on moon 50 years ago
- The 25 Best Movies of the Last 50 Years, According to Critics
- Volleyball legend Huệ starts new chapter in storied career
Comedy legend Jethro, 72, quits stand-up after 50-year career of performing have 335 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at February 24, 2020. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.