In a weekend in a yurt at Mount Madonna County Park, those new to camping and the outdoors can acquire a gentle — and fun — introduction to the outdoor experience. According to Supervising Ranger Scott Christopher, yurt camping provides a gateway to the outdoors for many new residents to the Bay Area, who often arrive with few outdoor skills, many attracted here by tech industries — or those who haven’t figured out how to attain comfort when trying to sleep on the ground. A yurt is a high-domed, circular shelter with canvas walls. At Mount Madonna, yurts include wood bunk beds with mattresses, a locking door, a camping couch and wood table, plus windows. The ceiling is 10 feet high. Come nightfall at Mount Madonna, instead of sleeping in a tent or a bivy on the ground, you roll out your sleeping bag on a firm mattress. They are cozy and pretty. Outside, a deck circles the yurt, set in redwood forest. A raccoon-proof locker is available for your food, plus a barbecue, and within short walking distance, running water and a restroom with flush toilets. A restroom with showers is available nearby. You awake refreshed, free of city… Read full this story
- Nuggets Mailbag: Who is the surprise “MVP” of training camp?
- Warriors find reasons to celebrate in preseason-opening win over Nuggets
- Report: No surprise here, Millennials love glamping
- Miley Cyrus presents 'fairy godmother' Dolly Parton with Hitmaker Award as they celebrate their peers at virtual Billboard Women in Music
- FMIA: Legion of Whom? Fast, Efficient Overhaul Has Seattle Set to Surprise
- Mistakes From the 100 Worst Movies of All Time
- The travel hot list: The Stuff travel team's picks of things to try in 2021
- Tarras International Airport: The madness and genius of building it in the tiny Central Otago town
- 100 Best Movies of 2020, According to Critics
- ‘Searching’ Producer Timur Bekmambetov To Shoot World’s First Vertical Format Blockbuster
Mt. Madonna yurts open a gateway to the joy of camping have 312 words, post on www.sfchronicle.com at January 15, 2020. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.