HONG KONG (Reuters) – Hong Kong’s popular New Year’s Eve fireworks will be canceled for the first time in a decade, as more than six months of protests heighten security concerns, the Hong Kong Tourism Board said on Wednesday. The fireworks usually draw thousands of locals and tourists to the picturesque Victoria Harbour and the countdown is broadcast worldwide. Sparked by a controversial and now-withdrawn extradition bill, the ongoing protests in the former British colony have crippled the tourism and retail sectors, with several high-profile cultural and sporting events canceled in recent months. The fireworks will be replaced with a “Symphony of Lights”, a multimedia light show, involving projections on the city’s tallest skyscrapers at the stroke of midnight, tourism officials said. The facade of the waterside Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre will be turned into a giant countdown clock. Small-scale pyrotechnics will be released from nearby rooftops. The tourism board “places high importance on public safety of all events it organizes,” it said in an emailed statement. “In view of the current situation in Hong Kong, we have decided to adopt a new format.” Hongkongers gather before a soccer match between Hong Kong and China outside Busan Asiad… Read full this story
- Citing safety, Hong Kong democracy groups close facing China security law
- Dozens arrested at 'silent protest' in Hong Kong against proposed security law
- Xinhua Headlines: Why stay put? Answered by three foreign residents in Hong Kong
- Highways on Fire. Semesters Cut Short. A Recession. Can Hong Kong Heal?
- PM will offer refuge and citizenship to 3m from Hong Kong if China strips them of freedoms
- Reported ByteDance IPO Highlights Appeal Of Hong Kong Bourse’s Own Shares
- Jimmy Lai Hong Kong: Who is Jimmy Lai? Why has he been arrested in Hong Kong?
- As Chinese spies try to infiltrate U.K. in unknown numbers, Hong Kong exiles live in fear
- Hong Kong Police Arrest Students Over ‘Advocating Terrorism’
- Interview: HKMA chief says Hong Kong resilient as global financial hub
Hong Kong's New Year's fireworks canceled amid security concerns have 329 words, post on www.reuters.com at December 18, 2019. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.