Cargo ships and cruise liners sailing in and out of UK ports were responsible for more carbon dioxide emissions in 2018 than all the cars in Britain’s 17 biggest cities. Researchers from the Brussels-based sustainability group Transport & Environment have released the first analysis of European shipping’s carbon footprint. They found that 2018 shipping emissions in Finland, France, Germany, Spain and Sweden all exceeded the emissions of the cars in each country’s 10 largest cities. Despite the scale of their emissions, neither cargo ships or cruise liners are presently considered in the emissions reductions targets in the Paris climate agreement. Transport & Environment are calling for Europe to impose a carbon dioxide levy on shipping along with including such emissions in future climate targets. Scroll down for video Cargo ships and cruise liners sailing in and out of UK ports were responsible for more carbon dioxide emissions in 2018 than all the cars in Britain’s 17 biggest cities Under the European Union’s Monitoring, Reporting and Verification Regulation, since 2015 shipping companies with vessels of more than 5,000 gross tonnage have had to declare emission levels when sailing between European Economic Area ports. Researchers from Transport & Environment analysed the initial set of… Read full this story
- Cruise ship have 'dangerous' levels of 'damaging' pollution - is your holiday at risk?
- Are you protected on a cruise ship in a medical emergency? THIS may suggest otherwise
- Cruise Ship Held Off California Becomes New Focus of Concern
- Britain to Ban New Diesel and Gas Cars by 2040
- In The Race Toward Electric Cars, The World’s Fastest Sport Risks Being Left Behind
- Revealed: Britain's greenest places where a quarter are vegetarian and 20 per cent don't buy clothes
- The Quest To Grow Cities From Scratch
- Lightning tracker LIVE: Road 'destroyed' as UK blitzed by 2k bolts TODAY –'danger to life'
- Full list of UNESCO World Heritage sites in the UK - how many have you been to?
- UK drops travel quarantine rules giving tourism £31bn boost
Container and cruise ships sailing to and from the UK 'emitted more carbon dioxide in 2018 than all the cars in the 17 largest cities in Britain combined' have 323 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at December 9, 2019. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.