Eighteen years after his KBO debut, pitcher Ko Hyo-jun has finally earned his free agent status for the first time.Pitcher Ko Hyo-jun throws a pitch during a Lotte Giants’ game against the Kiwoom Heroes at Gocheok Sky Dome in western Seoul on May 19. [YONHAP]In the KBO, high school graduates earn their free agent status after playing nine seasons and college graduates earn it after eight seasons. A player must be on the 40-man roster at a KBO club for more than 145 days of a season for that to count as one of their years.Due to this, a player can earn their eligibility in their late-20s at the earliest, assuming they play full time from their rookie season. Some players earn their status even earlier if they appear for the national team, as playing for Korea normally comes with a reward in the form of a deduction in the number of days until free agent eligibility.At the same time, it could also mean that a player never earns free agency.Since the free agent policy was first introduced in the KBO in 1998, Ko took the longest time to earn his free agent status. After graduating from Sekwang High School,… Read full this story
- Flyers sign eight players on opening day of NHL free agency
- NBA free agency tracker, trade rumors: DeMarcus Cousins joining Golden State Warriors; Blazers were reportedly pursuing Boogie
- Rockies “like a good 1985 front office” when it comes to free agency, pundit says
- Where Knicks could turn next in free agency — at cost of others
- Car, SUV sales fall 21% in May, biggest in 18 years
- Live NBA free agency rumors and news: Sixers continue filling out roster on Day 3
- Best Twitter reactions to Sixers' barrage of moves in NBA free agency
- Live updates: The latest Sixers news and rumors heading into NBA free agency
- Live NBA free agency rumors and news: Jimmy Butler to the Heat, Sixers sign Al Horford
- NBA free agency rumors Isaiah Thomas to Celtics or Sixers?
Ko Hyo-jun earns free agency after 18 years have 344 words, post on koreajoongangdaily.joins.com at November 23, 2019. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.