Paris: PSG and France striker Kylian Mbappe said that Argentine great Lionel Messi is the favourite to win the 2019 Ballon d’Or. The 32-year-old Messi helped Barcelona to the Spanish league title in 2018/19, scoring 51 goals across all competitions. Messi is thus one of the front runners for the coveted title, which he has won five times, four of which came on the trot from 2009 to 2012. It is the joint-most number of times that a player has won the title — a record he holds with long-time rival Cristiano Ronaldo. When asked about who he thinks is the favourite to win the Ballon d’Or, Mbappe, who himself is a contender, told German magazine Der Spiegel, “Messi. In individual terms, he was the best this year.” The 20-year-old is widely touted as one of the players who is a potential future winner of the Ballon d’Or. He finished sixth at The Best FIFA Awards earlier this year, which Messi won. Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox – subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what’s happening in the world around you… Read full this story
- Lionel Messi leads FIFA 21 ratings with THREE Liverpool players named in top 10
- Wrexham priced up to sign Lionel Messi and Gareth Bale next summer with Jurgen Klopp in the mix as next manager
- Lionel Messi STAYS at Barcelona after his kids burst into tears over transfer saga – and to avoid legal battle with club
- Lionel Messi transfer to Man City step closer as ‘siege tightens’ after Pep Guardiola signs new contract
- European roundup: Lionel Messi pays tribute to Diego Maradona in Barça win
- Lionel Messi confirms he will stay at Barcelona 'to avoid legal dispute'
- PSG need new blood but are unlikely to sign Lionel Messi, says Thomas Tuchel
- Pep Guardiola, Lionel Messi and a gruelling episode of Taskmaster
- 'He's Not Normal': Kevin-Prince Boateng Recalls How Lionel Messi Almost Made Him Leave Football
- The Best FIFA awards: Messi, Ronaldo, Lewandowski and four Liverpool players among nominations
Despite Being in Contention Himself, Kylian Mbappe Backs Lionel Messi to Win Ballon d'Or have 341 words, post on www.news18.com at November 25, 2019. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.