London (CNN Business)The battle for the future of online food delivery just got a whole lot spicier. South African tech investment firm Naspers (NAPRF) said it was launching a takeover offer for Britain’s Just Eat (JSTTY) in a bid to become “the world’s leading food delivery business.” The unsolicited bid values Just Eat at £4.9 billion ($6.3 billion), and could spoil Just Eat’s plans for an all-stock merger with Dutch rival Takeaway.com. The announcement sent Just Eat shares up 26% in London. Naspers is making the offer via Prosus, a unit it listed on Amsterdam’s stock exchange last month creating Europe’s biggest consumer tech company in the process. (Prosus’ main asset is its 31% stake in Chinese internet giant Tencent (TCEHY).) The move is a clear sign of Naspers’ ambitions to use its financial muscle to take on Uber (UBER) and Amazon (AMZN) in food delivery, a market that could be worth $331 billion globally by 2022, according to Euromonitor. Amazon made a play for the European market earlier this year by investing millions in Deliveroo. Read More The Just Eat deal would add to Naspers’ stakes in Europe’s Delivery Hero, iFood in Brazil and one of India’s biggest food… Read full this story
- Deliveroo tackles rider safety - as thousands of workers complain about being injured on the job - following the death of four Uber Eats deliverers
- Meet England's Roses as a new-look squad prepare for South Africa
- Just Eat shareholder Cat Rock urges investors to back Takeaway.com deal
- Letter from Africa: Ramadan keeps Sudan protesters hungry for change
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry 'are weaning baby Archie onto eating solids' and he will be fed 'organic, seasonal produce', royal reporter claims
- Complacency a key concern as HIV epidemic persists in Africa
- World AIDS Day: Complacency a Concern as HIV Treatment Improves in Africa
- Sexists are easy to beat - just click and correct!
- The suburbs where Australians have given up walking: How Ubereats, Deliveroo and Menulog are taking over inner-city streets as lazy customers spend up to $8 just to have food delivered
- Just Eat in £4.9bn takeover battle as Prosus makes hostile bid
South Africa's Naspers wants to beat Uber Eats and Deliveroo. It just made a bold move have 352 words, post on edition.cnn.com at October 22, 2019. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.