Residents living in the one remaining block of flats on a north-London estate undergoing redevelopment say they are being “left to rot”, with pest infestations and security issues. They told the BBC’s Victoria Derbyshire programme how they had decided to do something about it. “When my daughter finds the cockroaches, she tries to keep it quiet,” Annie says. “She warns me there’s a cockroach and says, ‘Mummy, don’t cry.'”Annie first saw cockroaches in her flat two years ago. Since then, pest control officers have visited her 25 times and a number of the other residents on Barnet’s West Hendon housing estate have also complained about the pests.The cockroaches have bitten her 10-month-old son on his eyelid and her four-year-old daughter on the arm. Annie herself developed an infection after also being bitten on the eyelid.”At first I didn’t say anything because I was embarrassed,” she says. “I didn’t even know they could bite.”The 28-year-old lives with her partner and two children in a one-bedroom flat on Marsh Drive. The original estate of 680 homes was built in the 1960s, for low-income families.These properties are being demolished and replaced with a mixture of social, affordable and mainly private flats costing up… Read full this story
- 11 bits of bad news the Tories sneaked out hours before the Christmas holiday
- Baby has heart surgery at just 7 days old after scan picks up life-or-death condition
- 'I wasn't about to drop her!' Joy-Anna Duggar hits back after being criticized for the way she was holding her baby daughter - but fails to address public fury over her decision to take the infant to church amid the pandemic
- Czech health minister faces the sack after he is caught breaking his own coronavirus restrictions as country faces highest infection rate in Europe
- Pregnant Coronation Street star Victoria Ekanoye beams as she displays her growing baby bump in a chic polka dot dress
- It's carnage out there! York students celebrate city staying in Tier 2 - amid warning 30,000 hospitality firms face ruin by end of year after Frankie & Benny's and Wagamama group lost £15m in last lockdown
- 'It was a scary time!' Sheridan Smith discusses raising baby boy Billy with 'no help' during lockdown and admits his early arrival was 'quite a surprise'
- Keeping Up With The Kardashians: Khloe's pal Malika has a star-studded baby shower with Kylie, Kourtney, Kris, Kim Zolciak and Kimora Lee Simmons
- Emma Roberts wears a VOTE mask and a silk dress that shows off her growing baby bump during a grocery run with boyfriend Garrett Hedlund
- Joe Jonas sports a face mask on dad duty as he takes a walk with his baby daughter Willa in Los Angeles
Council tenant: 'Cockroaches bit my baby's face' have 447 words, post on www.bbc.co.uk at October 29, 2019. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.