Nguyen Thien Ngan wins the girls’ U14 rapid chess championship title. (Photo: nld.com.vn)
After nine games of chess, Nguyen Thien Ngan (Elo 1,643) gained 7.5 points, passing both No. 1 seed Van Foreest Machteld (Elo 2,086) and No.3 seed Liya Kurmangaliyeva (Elo 1,804) from Kazakhstan.
Meanwhile, Vietnam’s chess prodigy, Nguyen Anh Khoi, claimed the runner-up title in the boys’s U18 rapid chess category. He will continue to compete in the blitz event.
Khoi’s teammate Le Thuy An brought home the gold medal in the girls’ U18 rapid category.
Also in the U14 age group, Vo Pham Thien Phuc and Luong Hoang Tu Linh bagged the silver and bronze medals at boys’ and girls’ events, respectively.
The World Youth Rapid and Blitz Chess Championship for U14, U16 and U18 age groups is taking place from September 10-14. The event attracted the participation of 183 players from 23 countries around the world, including 14 from Vietnam.
- Khoi crowned world youth U12 chess champion
- Khoi is crowned world youth U12 chess champion
- Vietnamese girl crowned world under 8 chess champion
- Vietnamese girl crowned world under-8 chess champion
- Phuc wins U8 world cadets rapid chess title
- Vietnam grabs two gold at World Youth Rapid chess Championship
- Vietnamese player is world rapid chess youth champion
- Liem crowned world blitz champion
- Van Huy crowned national blitz chess champion