The U.S. men’s basketball team figured that it would eventually cross paths with Giannis Antetokounmpo at this World Cup. And the Americans were right. For the first time, a reigning NBA MVP will play against the U.S. on a major international stage. Antetokounmpo and Greece (2-1) will be the opponent when the U.S. (3-0) opens second-round play on Saturday night, in what’s essentially a must-win game for the Greeks in their quest to reach next week’s quarterfinals. “Oh, he’s going to come out to kill us. There’s no question,” said U.S. center Brook Lopez, Antetokounmpo’s teammate with the Milwaukee Bucks. “He’ll try to tear our heads off. I wouldn’t expect anything otherwise.” Greece has already survived one must-win game in this World Cup, beating New Zealand 103-97 on Thursday night to clinch the 16th and final available spot in the second round. Had they lost, the Greeks were going to the classification round and relegated to no better than a 17th-place finish in the 32 team tournament. Instead, they get the U.S. in a game that’s sure to command major attention. “For us, we go as far as Giannis goes,” Greece’s Nick Calathes said. “Not just offensively because offensively he… Read full this story
- USA drawn into Group F alongside Thailand, Chile and Sweden for 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup
- U.S. returning to Bay Area ahead of 2019 Women’s World Cup
- Lindsey Vonn skipping World Cup races to rest ailing knees
- Boston Celtics vs. Milwaukee Bucks: Giannis Antetokounmpo presents problems without best defenders
- Football Ferns coach Tom Sermanni says 2019 World Cup draw 'not insurmountable'
- Cape Elizabeth native making noise on the World Cup biathlon circuit
- Australia lose World Cup bid
- U.S. Women's World Cup prep includes stop in Nashville
- Google top searches of 2018: World Cup, Hurricane Florence, Mac Miller
- Joliet Junior College professor brings home medal from Culinary World Cup
MVP vs. USA: Americans to face Antetokounmpo at World Cup have 317 words, post on www.sandiegouniontribune.com at September 6, 2019. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.