Since the Comite Diversion Canal has been 40 years coming, a last-minute snarl from Kansas City Southern Railway is frustrating the public. The newest dispute involves maintenance of a new and higher railroad bridge over the canal.The railroad is quarreling with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers over how much the government will pay to maintain the structure.Given that this project has been so long in development, and that area citizens have been paying into a fund for it through property taxes for decades, such a delay is not understandable. Officials negotiating to mitigate delay of Comite Diversion Canal construction Lawmakers are looking at various options including expropriation of railroad property to get around opposition by Kansas City Southern Railway… U.S. Rep. Garret Graves, R-Baton Rouge, said the problem should be resolved. But he did not, speaking to the Press Club of Baton Rouge, rule out seizing the railroad property through eminent domain.The Corps of Engineers is supposed to pay for construction of the new bridges over U.S. 61 for vehicles and for trains. What’s at issue is who will pay how much for the long-term maintenance of the new bridge.“The project proposal has been out there for decades. The… Read full this story
- PDC Home Tour: Scott Waites produces exhibition of finishing to seal top spot on Night 27
- Notting Hill Carnival 2019 — Parade route, map, start and finish times
- The Guardian view on the case for legalising drugs: time to be reasonable
- Royal couples who waited years before marrying: Kate Middleton, Duchess of Cornwall, Princess Eugenie
- Shilpa Shetty on why she chose surrogacy: ‘I had couple of miscarriages, waited years for adoption’
- Shilpa Shetty on choosing surrogacy: Had couple of miscarriages and waited years for adoption
- Holly Willoughby quits ITV2’s Celebrity Juice after 12 years to spend more time with family
- is coming to Disney+ a year early—just in time for Fourth of July
- Asda opening times for New Year’s Day 2020: What time do shops open and close today?
- Suspicious Fires Erupt In San Rafael Canal Neighborhood
Our Views: We've waited years for the Comite canal to be finished. It's time to stop stalling. have 356 words, post on www.theadvocate.com at August 9, 2019. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.