WASHINGTON — The federal government is set to pay more than $5 million to elevate 88 homes in Livingston Parish that flooded during Louisiana’s historic flooding in 2016, part of millions going toward efforts to mitigate future damage. Only one-third of Louisiana applicants have seen Restore LA grant money; see breakdown of grants Three years after floods swept across portions of southern Louisiana, only 36 percent of homeowners who applied for help through the Restore L… “We are getting into the good part now with the progress being made,” said U.S. Rep. Garret Graves, a Baton Rouge Republican who has spearheaded many of the state’s flood recovery efforts in Congress. ”You’re seeing the clearing and snagging of our waterways, dirt turning on Comite, and now we’re going to start seeing properties being elevated.”The 88 homes that will receive grant dollars for elevation have sustained repeated damage from floods or were substantially damaged in 2016, according to Livingston emergency director Mark Harrell. All properties will be elevated above the base flood elevation level and in compliance with local building ordinances. Livingston Parish schools enrollment climbs back to pre-2016 flood numbers for the first time When doors open Friday, Livingston Parish school officials say, the… Read full this story
- Hundreds of millions of dollars flowing for flood mitigation in the GTA
- As environmental risks increase, governments consider buyouts for flood-prone properties
- Flood-prone caves should be sealed off during rainy season
- Amber Heard accuses ex husband Johnny Depp of 'paying millions of dollars of hush money' to 'witnesses of abuse'
- Flood-prone US states have billions of dollars of property at stake in the next 15 years — here’s where it will be worst
- Japan’s elderly draw on self-help strength in clean-up effort as flood death toll continues to rise
- Dubai is getting these stunning $23 million floating villas that can withstand flooding
- The SEC has charged a former rising star VC, accusing him of ‘misappropriating millions of dollars’ and barred him for 5 years
- Iran says US sanctions impeding aid efforts to flood-hit regions
- Trump junior says presidency costing family firm millions of dollars
Millions in federal dollars going to effort to elevate flood-prone homes in Livingston Parish have 356 words, post on www.theadvocate.com at August 13, 2019. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.