Barcelona’s back-up goalkeeper Neto will undergo surgery after injuring his left wrist, the club announced on Monday.
Neto suffered the injury in training and is unlikely to be fit for Barca’s opening La Liga game away to Athletic Bilbao on Friday.
“Goalkeeper Neto is to undergo surgery this Tuesday on a fractured scaphoid bone in his left hand sustained in training while on the US tour,” a club statement read.
“Doctor Xavier Mir will perform the operation in the presence of the Club Medical Services. Afterwards, he will make a statement to explain how the surgery has gone and to offer an approximate recovery date.”
Neto joined Barcelona this summer from Valencia, with fellow goalkeeper Jasper Cillessen leaving Camp Nou and going the other way.
Coach Ernesto Valverde is already likely to be without Lionel Messi against Bilbao. Messi missed the friendly win over Napoli on Saturday after sustaining a calf tear in training last week.
- Alex Cuthbert to undergo hamstring surgery as injuries bite for Exeter
- Ousmane Dembele ‘to be fined £900k by Barcelona’ for not telling club about injury as he jetted off to spend time with family
- Veteran actress & Kajol's mother Tanuja undergoes surgery, to be in hospital for a week
- Dog the Bounty Hunter's Wife Beth Chapman Undergoes Surgery for Cancerous Tumor
- Lynyrd Skynyrd Postpone Tour Dates, Guitarist Gary Rossington Undergoes Surgery
- David Ortiz's doctors describe life-saving surgery: 'The injuries he had were lethal'
- ‘Prayers Up For Ben’: Pittsburgh Steelers’ Teammates React To Ben Roethlisberger Season Ending Injury
- Kuwaiti toddler born with benign tumor between her eyes that grew to partially block her vision undergoes life-changing surgery in the US
- Cancer patients are undergoing HYPNOSIS instead of anesthesia in push to reduce risks of post-surgery memory loss and delirium
- Woman Undergoes 30 Surgeries To Look Like Adult Star