Hanoi (VNA) – Vietnamese students on July 22 bagged two more gold medals at the ongoing ASEAN Schools Games in Semerang, Indonesia.
Hoang Thanh Giang pocketed a gold medal in the girls’ triple jump with a result of 12.67 metres. She was followed by Arisa Choosiri of Thailand (12.35m) and Hurano Diana Rysia of the Philippines (11.87m).
Bui Thi Ngan took the other gold in the girls’ 800m after clocking a time of 2:15.81. Nguyen Thi Thu Ha also of Vietnam and Halimatusakdiah of Indonesia were the runners-up.
Vietnam have won eight gold medals, seven silvers and four bronzes in total to temporarily rank fifth in the medal tally.
Indonesia sat atop the table with 33 gold medals. Thailand were in second with 26 and Malaysia close behind with 18.
A contingent of 103 athletes from Vietnam joined about 1,600 student athletes and officials from 10 ASEAN countries at the Holy Terang Bangsa School to compete in six out of the event’s nine sports.
The ASEAN Schools Games is an annual sporting event which aims to enhance friendship among students around the Southeast Asian region. It also seeks to promote ASEAN solidarity among the youth and provide opportunities for school athletes to engage in cultural exchange.-VNA
- Winter Olympics: Russia beat Germany 4-3 to win gold medal in men's ice hockey
- Vietnamese runner secures gold medal in Asian athletics championships
- Vietnam bags six gold medals at world bodybuilding championships
- Vietnamese female runner wins Asian running gold medal
- Brother-sister weightlifting duo wins gold in National Games
- How skaters defied odds to harvest 13 medals at Africa games
- Sports radio host suspended for calling gold medal Olympian Jessica Mendoza 'Tits McGee' in slew of sexist tweets about the softball player becoming the first female commentator in the MLB
- Vietnam to take over ASEAN Chairmanship from Thailand in early November
- Arthi Arun wins five gold medals in Commonwealth Powerlifting Championships
- Prudential Vietnam wins Golden Dragon Award