Washington Governor Jay Inslee says he has some allies in his push for a climate debate, despite the opposition of the national Democratic Party. Inslee told CBS News in an impromptu interview Thursday that at least nine Democratic state party chairmen and around 50 Democratic National Committee members are planning to submit a formal resolution demanding a climate change debate to DNC executive leaders latest this month. Inslee also said that over 200,000 people have signed a petition supporting a climate debate. The governor said he is in Washington, D.C., to meet with the Sunrise Movement, a youth-led group supporting the Green New Deal, and added he has no plans to meet with the DNC while in town. He also interpreted DNC chairman Tom Perez’s insinuation this week that a climate debate would only benefit one person as an indication that he is the leader on climate policy in the crowded Democratic field. “If we change our guidelines at the request of one candidate who has made climate change their campaign’s signature issue, how do we say no to the numerous other requests we’ve had? How do we say no to other candidates in the race who may request debates… Read full this story
- Voters in Colorado and the West prioritize environment and increasingly demand climate action, poll finds
- State’s Democratic superdelegates feel heat from Sanders backers
- Democrats Plan for Coronavirus Convention Chaos in Milwaukee
- 'Just give me an opponent!' Donald Trump mocks 'crazy, chaotic' Democratic debate and takes aim at Joe Biden, 'Mini Mike' Bloomberg, and calls Elizabeth Warren a 'chocker'
- Democrats Must Decide If an Ideological Coup Is Their Best First Step Toward Recovery
- Democrats shout at each other, turn on 'racist' Mike Bloomberg and gang up on 'unelectable' Bernie Sanders in messy debate - while the CBS moderators lose control so badly even Gayle King and Norah O'Donnell start arguing
- Democrats Try to Transcend Symbolic Divisions in DNC Race
- Elizabeth Warren Agrees That the Democratic Primary Was ‘Rigged’
- What We Can Learn From the Russian Hack of the DNC
- The Democratic Game Plan for Making Trump Miserable — and Regaining Power
Several Democratic state party chairs and DNC members to demand climate debate, Inslee says have 349 words, post on www.cbsnews.com at June 13, 2019. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.