Officials at the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) say 465 cases of measles have been registered in the country in 2019 as of last week, an increase of nearly 100 cases since the previous week’s figure of 387, the New York Post reports. This is already the largest number of measles cases since 2014, when a total of 667 cases were recorded, the officials say. According to the report, the outbreak has hit several states, including California, Michigan and New Jersey, with New York City alone being responsible for about two-thirds of all cases reported last week. © AP Photo / Tom E. Puskar‘Hotspot’ Outbreak: Measles Public Emergency Declared in US Anti-Vaccine StrongholdMeasles, a disease caused by highly contagious virus, is characterized by such symptoms as fever, cough, runny nose, inflamed eyes and, of course, the trademark rash that spreads all across the body. Back in the mid-20th century, measles cases in the US numbered in the hundreds of thousands per year, but, by 1970, the disease had been nearly eradicated thanks to the introduction of a vaccine for it. By 1990s, doctors determined that a second dose of the vaccine is needed to ensure maximum protection, which almost made measles a thing of the past. These days, with anti-vaccine movements becoming more popular, it is not exactly surprising that diseases formerly thought eradicated are reappearing. There is no known… Read full this story
- Good Morning, News: Reporter Layoffs, Vancouver Measles Outbreak Hits 34 Cases, We Have a (Temporarily) Open Government
- Measles Outbreak 2019: What Are the Symptoms, How Does it Spread?
- Measles Outbreak Spreads Near Portland, Officials Call Area an Anti-Vax 'Hot Spot'
- Washington Measles Outbreak Shows Anti-vaxxers Are Literally Making Us Sick
- Measles outbreak tips: How to protect infants
- 'Dangerous' Anti-Vaxx Warning Issued by Washington Officials as Cases in Measles Outbreak Continue to Rise
- Officials urge vaccinations amid Northwest measles outbreak
- Officials urge vaccinations amid measles outbreak
- Public health officials confirm measles outbreak in Washington state at 22 cases
- Vancouver-area measles outbreak reaches 35 after unvaccinated child diagnosed
US Measles Outbreak Tops 465 Cases, 80 Percent of Infected Under 19 Years of Age have 325 words, post on sputniknews.com at April 9, 2019. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.