HAVANA — The Trump administration is moving to end a deal allowing Cuban baseball players to sign contracts directly with Major League Baseball organizations. The change again will require Cuban players to cut ties with their national program before signing. The Treasury Department told MLB attorneys in a letter Friday that it was reversing an Obama administration decision allowing the major leagues to pay the Cuban Baseball Federation a release fee equal to 25 percent of each Cuban player’s signing bonus. The decision made public Monday appears to make the MLB-Cuba deal unworkable by eliminating the payment mechanism, similar to one MLB has with leagues in China, Korea and Japan.“The U.S. does not support actions that would institutionalize a system by which a Cuban government entity garnishes the wages of hard-working athletes who simply seek to live and compete in a free society,” National Security Council spokesman Garrett Marquis said. “The administration looks forward to working with MLB to identify ways for Cuban players to have the individual freedom to benefit from their talents, and not as property of the Cuban state.” The MLB and Cuba engaged in intense negotiations on a player-transfer deal through the Obama administration’s two-year effort… Read full this story
- Seven ways to save Major League Baseball from itself
- Vince Naimoli, 81, Dies; Brought Major League Baseball to Tampa
- Billionaire Burkle to join Sacramento Republic FC. Is a Major League Soccer spot next?
- Sacramento wants Major League Soccer. But how much will the public kick in?
- Trump nears key Cuba sanctions decision over support for Maduro
- How Atlanta United’s innovative recruiting changed Major League Soccer
- Canada and U.S. Meet as Trump Moves Ahead with Mexico Trade Deal
- Trump's willingness on immigration deal gives talks urgency
- Global stocks rally as China trade talks end on high note, while Trump reportedly aims to strike deal 'soon'
- Trump moves closer to national emergency as talks stall
Monday’s major league notebook: Trump moves to end Cuba baseball deal have 313 words, post on www.pressherald.com at April 8, 2019. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.