Newcastle United officials will be informed that the Magpies cannot stage lucrative friendlies during future mid-season breaks, which will be introduced into the Premier League from the start of the 2019/20 campaign.
Top-flight clubs voted last year to guarantee teams a minimum 10-day hiatus in the schedule of every Premier League team, though they will split one round of fixtures across two consecutive weekends in February, rather than enforce a simultaneous division-wide break.
Half of the top-flight teams will play on the first weekend, with the other five matches taking place a week later – meaning clubs will have their mid-season breaks staggered.
Should Newcastle secure their Premier League status for another season – United are seven points clear of the drop zone with six games remaining, and are realistically just one win away from all-but guaranteeing survival – then the Magpies will be subject to a mid-season break next term, expected to take place in February 2020.
However, in the unlikely event Newcastle’s form tailed off to such a degree that they were relegated, then they would not enjoy a period of rest in the Championship, given that none of the three EFL divisions have decided to adopt a winter break into their calendar.
On Friday, at a Premier League shareholders’ meeting, top-flight clubs will reportedly be told that they will be prevented from arranging lucrative friendlies during their statutory off period.
According to the Daily Mail, an ‘advisory note’, which will be presented at the summit, details examples of the type of activities clubs will be allowed to undertaken during the enforced break.
It states that Newcastle and the other 19 top-flight clubs will be allowed to conduct training sessions – including open days, for which fans could be invited – and behind-closed-doors matches, which are not for broadcast or open to the public.
Should Rafa Benitez remain as Magpies manager, then the 58-year-old would also be permitted to take his Newcastle squad for a warm-weather training camp during the mid-season break.
In each of the past two seasons, Newcastle’s first-team squad have headed to La Finca Golf Course & Resort in Spain for five-day training camps, something which Benitez would have the option of arranging in advance so that it could take place during the Magpies’ enforced hiatus period in 2020.
Yet the Magpies would be unable to stage an open friendly at the end of those training camps – as they have done against Belgian club Royal Antwerp and Russian outfit CSKA Moscow respectively in each of the past two campaigns – although they could arrange a behind-closed-doors match against overseas opponents.
Football Association regulations already prevent a club from facing a member of another national association unless they are given express permission more than 60 days in advance.
The Daily Mail claims that the FA would reject any applications by Premier League clubs to hold an open friendly during their mandatory 10-day break.
- The official Premier League app for Android and iOS went live, and it has it all
- Stop posting goals on Vine, says English Premier League
- Comments for : The official Premier League app for Android and iOS went live, and it has it all
- Championship Manager 17 launches on Android and iOS just in time for the Premier League
- Getting Back in Shape Again after Winter Break
- Some of Apple's 22 new patents could affect future versions of the Apple iPhone or Apple iPad
- Google is donating 17,000 Nexus 7 tablets to New York communities affected by Superstorm Sandy
- Iggy Pop and Josh Homme release their second new track, Break Into Your Heart
- New malware bot affects IM services like Facebook Chat and Google Talk
- New research breaks down how the social Web is changing news