Downer using Microsoft Azure for train data analytics and to predict maintenance Watch Now Australian giant Downer has a 30-year contract with the New South Wales government to manage and maintain its fleet of 78 Waratah trains that operate in the greater Sydney metro area. With 2041 not approaching any time soon, the company recognised a perfect opportunity to maximise technology to make the most of its data and plan for proactive, rather than reactive, maintenance of Sydney’s trains. In December 2016, the NSW government ordered 24 Waratah Series 2 trains under its Sydney Growth Trains Project and in February 2019, announced the decision to order 17 more trains. The new trains are touted as providing passengers with improved safety and comfort, fitted with air-con, more CCTV cameras, and improved accessibility. Downer general manager of Digital Technology and Innovation Mike Ayling said his company saw this as the perfect opportunity to leverage additional sensor data from the fleet. As each Waratah train pulls in and out of a Sydney station, more than 300 Internet of Things (IoT) sensors and almost 90 cameras silently capture data and record video. Every 10 minutes, 30,000 signals are sent from the train to Downer…. Read full this story
- Terrifying prediction nearly 60,000 people in just one Australian state will DIE from the coronavirus - and that's the BEST case scenario
- Britain's rollercoaster weather: Rain lashes flood-hit western regions while north and Scotland face snow tomorrow... but south east temperatures hit 61F on warmest day of 2020 so far thanks to Azores wind
- Australian universities tout development of quantum error correction codes
- Boeing Fires its CEO at Last. And Before Anybody Flies on a 737 MAX, 10 Questions Need Answering
- 66% manufacturing firms pick big data as top investment priority: Study
- The drone boat of ‘Shipwreck Alley’
- Markets bloodbath: FTSE plunges 8.5 per cent on opening in London - 550 points - amid coronavirus panic as oil prices see greatest plunge since 1991 Gulf War
- Coronavirus is pushing Australia towards RECESSION with a high risk of a 'prolonged downturn'
- Boeing Didn’t Tell Doomed Lion Air Pilots About Dangerous System
- Weekend Today host Richard Wilkins tests positive to deadly coronavirus
How Downer is using sensors to predict Sydney Trains maintenance have 340 words, post on www.zdnet.com at April 15, 2019. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.