From a hilltop perch above Stinson Beach, you can see for miles along the Marin County coast, past Bolinas and out across a seemingly infinite sea of blue. The December dry spell might cause concern for holiday-season snow sports in the Sierra Nevada. But on the coast, crystal air, light offshore winds and temperatures in the 60s have turned short hikes and ocean views into spectacular getaways. So much so that by mid-morning on weekends, every parking place often is filled at trailheads at Mount Tamalpais State Park (Pantoll, Bootjack, and Rock Spring), along with every wide spot on the shoulder of the Panoramic Highway and Pantoll Road. If you can't find a spot to park, the solution might be found by thinking in reverse. Instead of starting high on the flank of Mount Tam, venture instead to trail's end on the coast at the foot of the range. The end of the Dipsea Trail at Stinson Beach can be the answer to Mount Tam parking woes. By thinking in reverse, you can make this the start of a hike, rather than the end of the famous trail that officially starts in Mill Valley. By starting at the end, you're… Read full this story
- Florida’s red tide takes a mounting toll. And it’s not just on the fish.
- Shopper News blog: Urban oasis: Office park's rock fountain stands apart
- Bay Area neighborhoods where open space is just steps away
- Weird, manmade landmarks on Bay Area hiking trails that you don't want to miss
- A week of events in Cambridge, Somerville: Jazz fest, murder at Harvard, funny science
- Look Ahead: The hottest Seattle events for August 2018
- Ohio congressional contest could signal Democrats’ momentum for November
- Should Pride Be A Party Or A Protest?
- Why secrecy and suspicion surround the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department
- How they became us: Orange County changed forever in the 40 years since the fall of Saigon
Stinson Beach answer to Mount Tamalpais parking woes have 322 words, post on www.sfchronicle.com at March 27, 2019. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.