Foreign Policy Secretary of State Mike Pompeo declined to say Wednesday if a two-state solution remains viable for Israelis and Palestinians, urging lawmakers to wait to see a White House-spearheaded peace proposal designed to end the conflict. Pressed by Rep. Nita Lowey (D-NY) on when that long-awaited proposal would be released, the secretary joked: “I think we can say in less than 20 years.”Story Continued Below Pompeo’s remarks came during a House Appropriations Subcommittee hearing on President Donald Trump’s latest effort to slash the State Department’s budget. Pompeo’s hesitation to restate the traditional U.S. position favoring a two-state solution for Israelis and Palestinians will likely deepen critics’ concerns about the peace proposal, which is being overseen by Jared Kushner, Trump’s son-in-law and adviser. But it also could signal that the proposal will be radically different than ones offered in the past, which Pompeo noted have never worked out. The plans are due to be revealed after Israel’s elections on April 9, though a specific date has not been given. Lawmakers from both parties broadly dismissed the idea of steep budget cuts to U.S. diplomacy — one Democrat called Trump’s plan “embarrassing and dangerous” — but they used the hearing Wednesday… Read full this story
- Taliban say 'another' meeting in Middle East with US
- Taliban says 'another' meeting in Middle East with US
- Iran Slams Pompeo’s Middle East Speech, Says It Will ‘Mimic’ U.S. Human Rights Model ‘When Hell Freezes Over’
- Pompeo Pledges Continued Islamic State Fight After US Troop Withdrawal
- Mike Pompeo Says 'Every Day Is Tough' in Trump Administration As He Heads to Middle East
- U.S. Says 'Iran Has the Largest Ballistic Missile Force in the Middle East' and Can Target Europe
- Jared Kushner and Donald Trump’s Middle East Peace Plan Is a ‘Waste of Time,’ Israeli Minister Says
- Tell the Neocons They Can’t Keep Troops in the Middle East
- Kaspersky Lab shares Middle East, Turkey and Africa (META) 2018 Financial Insights and Predictions for 2019
- Iran Says U.S. Must Leave Middle East, 'This Region Belongs to Us'
Pompeo declines to say if U.S. still pushing for two-state solution in the Middle East have 342 words, post on www.politico.com at March 27, 2019. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.