At the center of the Lyceum Theatre, a Broadway house built in 1903, the Be More Chill set protrudes into its filigreed Beaux-Arts surroundings with concentric frames resembling the beveled outlines of an iPhone. The set has the sheen of a giant video screen, rigged with projections that display the circuitry and computer code essential to the musical’s plot and themes. You might wonder if a technologically advanced alien race decided to build a headquarters at a historical landmark in midtown, or if the internet itself is made manifest in here. Which, in a way, it has. Based on Ned Vizzini’s novel of teenage suburban sci-fi discontent, Be More Chill first premiered at the Two River Theater in New Jersey in 2015. It ran for four weeks and then closed. But the internet latched on to the show’s cast album, which in turn inspired art and fan fiction. The musical’s online devotees have rendered the songs, specifically the act two solo “Michael in the Bathroom,” in myriad styles of animation, including stop-motion LEGO. The album has since racked up hundreds of millions of streams. Be More Chill was the second-most-popular musical on Tumblr in 2017 and 2018, just behind Hamilton…. Read full this story
- US Teen's Birthday Invite Goes Viral, Police Arrest Over 150 as Thousands Turn up to Attend 'Party'
- The People Behind “The Backyardigans” Song That Went Viral On TikTok Love It Too
- I had tears in my eyes as I had my Covid vaccine – after a year living in fear there is finally hope
- 5 Things You Need to Know About Kamala Harris
- The Big Read: Conspiracy theories, scientific misinterpretations, plain ignorance abound in COVID-19 infodemic
- 10 things the 'pandemic doctors' revealed to Dr. Sanjay Gupta about their time fighting Covid-19
- Stranger Things season 4 release date update: David Harbour lets slip when Hopper scenes wrap
- 5 Things to Do This Weekend
- 'Viral': Film Review | Hot Docs 2021
- Best Image of Big Bang Afterglow Ever Confirms Standard Cosmology
How Viral Sensation Be More Chill Hopes to Become Broadway’s Next Big Thing have 321 words, post on www.vulture.com at March 6, 2019. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.