At the center of the Lyceum Theatre, a Broadway house built in 1903, the Be More Chill set protrudes into its filigreed Beaux-Arts surroundings with concentric frames resembling the beveled outlines of an iPhone. The set has the sheen of a giant video screen, rigged with projections that display the circuitry and computer code essential to the musical’s plot and themes. You might wonder if a technologically advanced alien race decided to build a headquarters at a historical landmark in midtown, or if the internet itself is made manifest in here. Which, in a way, it has. Based on Ned Vizzini’s novel of teenage suburban sci-fi discontent, Be More Chill first premiered at the Two River Theater in New Jersey in 2015. It ran for four weeks and then closed. But the internet latched on to the show’s cast album, which in turn inspired art and fan fiction. The musical’s online devotees have rendered the songs, specifically the act two solo “Michael in the Bathroom,” in myriad styles of animation, including stop-motion LEGO. The album has since racked up hundreds of millions of streams. Be More Chill was the second-most-popular musical on Tumblr in 2017 and 2018, just behind Hamilton…. Read full this story
- Broadway’s Beth Leavel: All Dressed Up For ‘The Prom’ Of Her Life – Tony Watch Q&A
- ‘The Prom’ Director Casey Nicholaw Talks Turkey About Thanksgiving’s Big Broadway Smooch – Deadline Q&A
- ‘The Prom’ Review: Broadway Comedy Razzle-Dazzles Small Town Bigotry
- Frankie Bridge on how lockdown helped ease her anxiety & becoming a TikTok sensation with husband Wayne
- Jason Derulo says new girlfriend Jena Frumes has no complaints after THAT viral bulge picture
- Lizzy Hoo: the 10 funniest things I have ever seen (on the internet)
- State-run facilities play big role in Felicianas' coronavirus cases; president wants them identified
- Woman catches a goat eating mail from letterbox. Shares surprising video
- 'I don't know what goes on in their heads out in Hollywood'
- From Trauma to Triumph in 72 Hours
How Viral Sensation Be More Chill Hopes to Become Broadway’s Next Big Thing have 325 words, post on www.vulture.com at March 6, 2019. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.