What do Meghan Markle, Michelle Obama, Khloe Kardashian, Kate Middleton and, probably, your best mate have in common? They all own a Self-Portrait dress. Very few fashion labels manage to appeal, and be accessible, to so many different women but Malaysian-born Han Chong bridged a gap when he created his aspirational, yet affordable, clothing line. “There are plenty of brands out there designing luxury fashion but it’s not accessible.” Chong tells the Standard. ”There has always been a massive gap between high street and luxury, never anything in between. I wanted to be able to bring great design and quality, at an honest price point, to a wider audience.” It wasn’t just the label’s affordability that caught women’s attention when it launched five years ago, Self-Portrait also had an instantly recognisable aesthetic. “My focus at the start was to establish a recognisable signature – it helped get the brand noticed,” explains Chong who moved from Malaysia to study a degree in womenswear at Central Saint Martins in London. Chong’s first design, the Azaelea dress, was crafted from cut-out guipure lace and the delicate design gave a fresh and contemporary spin on traditional florals. During the summer of 2015 it was a surprise if you went to a wedding and didn’t see someone wearing the Azaelea. “The… Read full this story
- Zoe Kravitz files for divorce from actor husband Karl Glusman after less than two years of marriage
- Meghan Markle set herself tough goal for year she met Harry - and it was life changing
- Happy Birthday Vidya Balan: It’s going to be a different start to the year but I think there’s great hope, say the actor
- Timeless icons: From the watch worn Buzz Aldrin on his mission to the moon to Kate Middleton's classic Cartier... the wristwatches of the stars
- CRAIG BROWN: Is Tina Turner simply the best self-help guru?
- Keeping Up With The Kardashians is OVER after 14 years : Kim shocks fans by announcing family has made 'difficult decision' to end reality show after 20th season
- Hello 2021! Olivia Culpo welcomes New Year with a kiss and fast food while Paris Hilton suns herself in a bikini.... as stars ring out the old on Instagram
- 'Divorce is imminent': Kim Kardashian and Kanye West's 'marriage is OVER' after six years and four children - amid claims she has 'had enough' and they 'are in settlement talks' with high-powered lawyers
- Here Are 20 Photo Books That Brought Us Joy In The Very Exhausting Year Of 2020
- Self-driving pioneer Waymo dumps the term 'self-driving'
How Self-Portrait became an iconic brand in just 5 years have 418 words, post on www.standard.co.uk at February 9, 2019. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.