The US federal government has been shut down for eleven days because Democrats have refused Trump’s demand to include $5.6 billion in funding in next year’s budget to build a wall on the southern border. On Wednesday, talks between Trump and Democratic lawmakers at the White House collapsed on the eve of the new US Congress convening. After the meeting, House Democrats vowed to submit legislation on Thursday that includes only $1.3 billion in border security funding, far short of Trump’s target. Symbolic Wall Currently there is nearly 600 miles worth of barrier, primarily consisting of 16-foot high fencing, along the 1,900-mile US-Mexico border. Trump wants to erect steel and/or concrete walls over 30 feet tall on more than 200 miles of the border that would include new and replacement barriers. © REUTERS / Mike Blake’Artistically Designed Steel Slats’: Trump Says Border Wall Will Be ‘Beautiful’Building the wall on a border symbolizes “getting tough” in a hostile world by protecting US core interests, he added. Parts of a wall or physical barrier at the US land border with Mexico have already been built under other presidents, Schirach recalled. “Trump is the first US leader who made the wall into a core issue, a symbol of his agenda,” he said. The Democrats who now control the House of Representatives, the lower chamber of Congress that controls funding also see the wall as a symbolic issue… Read full this story
- Senate rejects GOP effort to add Trump border wall to bipartisan infrastructure deal
- Biden Administration Spent Around $2 Bln on Halting Border Wall Construction, Senate Report Finds
- Carl Bernstein condemns Trump's border wall obsession: "We've never had a president that hates half the country"
- DHS terminating two border wall contracts
- Biden Spent $2B to Not Build Border Wall, Say GOP Senators
- Ann Coulter suggests Donald Trump should be charged for employing undocumented migrant workers
- Sen. Lankford: Biden Has Wasted $2 Billion in Border Wall Funds
- Texas border wall donor info largely anonymous despite Abbott's promise for transparency
- Trump's New Border 'Wall' Resembles Fence Obama Constructed That Illegal Aliens Recently Hopped Over
- DHS Keeps Mileage of New Border Wall Construction a Mystery
Trump Border Wall is 'Symbolic', Can't Stop Undocumented Migrants have 348 words, post on sputniknews.com at January 2, 2019. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.