January 30, 2019 3:51 PM SHARE Scot Peterson, the former SRO at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High, did not show up at the MSD Public Safety Commission, however, his attorney addressed the Commission while Superintendent Robert Runcie gave a personal apology to parents. Carl Juste i By Emily L. Mahoney Herald/Times Tallahassee Bureau LinkedIn Google+ Pinterest Reddit Print Order Reprint of this Story TALLAHASSEE Gov. Ron DeSantis said Wednesday that based on legal advice he’s received, he does not feel confident he can suspend Broward County Schools Superintendent Robert Runcie, who has come under intense fire for the way his district handled the Parkland shooting and the confessed shooter, Nikolas Cruz, a former student of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. “This came up during the campaign. I went back and actually looked at the statute and it seemed pretty clear to me that the statute applied to county-wide elected officials and that it didn’t apply, on its face, to appointed officials,” DeSantis told reporters at the Associated Press’ annual AP Day in the Capitol. “The balance of the advice I’ve gotten since then has said that that’s probably the way to do it.” DeSantis did say that he is looking at… Read full this story
- Broward School Board Votes 8-1 To Require Masks For Students, Will File Legal Action To Challenge State
- Loudoun County School Board Approves Trans Students in Opposite Sex's Sports Teams, Locker Rooms
- Florida School Board Sanctions School Districts For Imposing Mask Mandates
- Exclusive — School Board Candidate Seeks to Unseat Chairman
- San Francisco School Board Votes to Hide, but Not Destroy, Disputed Murals
- ‘Most Significant Threat To Freedom In My Lifetime’: DeSantis Says COVID Unleashed ‘Medical Authoritarianism’
- Eighth-grade girl blasts school board for policy that would allow 'boys into girls' locker rooms'
- Virginia school board sees contentious, emotional meeting as it weighs gender-related policies
- Polarization Shown In Schools Across U.S. With Fall Mask Rules
- Parents To Get Vouchers To Switch Schools For COVID-19 Bullying
DeSantis says he probably can’t suspend Runcie but looks at ‘options’ for school board have 323 words, post on www.miamiherald.com at January 30, 2019. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.