WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) — A powerful earthquake that struck in the southern Pacific Ocean on Wednesday sent jitters around the region after authorities warned of possible tsunamis, but there were no initial reports of destructive waves or major damage. The magnitude 7.5 quake hit in the afternoon near the French territory of New Caledonia at a shallow depth, where earthquakes are generally more damaging. It was felt as far away as Vanuatu, about 630 kilometers (390 miles) away Tsunami sirens blared across New Caledonia minutes after the quake. The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said tsunami waves of between 1 and 3 meters (3 and 10 feet) were possible along some coasts of New Caledonia and Vanuatu, before later lifting the warning. Local authorities in New Caledonia ordered residents to evacuate coastal zones on the eastern edge of the archipelago, including the Loyalty Islands and the island of Ile des Pins. The evacuation order from the regional police said western islands didn’t need to evacuate but should remain vigilant. While residents of the region are familiar with tsunami warnings and evacuations, the quake startled tourists, including communications consultant Eugenie Kerleau, 30, vacationing on the island of Lifou from her home… Read full this story
- Strong 6.4 Magnitude Earthquake Strikes Off Philippines
- 6.4 magnitude earthquake strikes touristic Indonesian island of Lombok
- Picton gets the shakes as 5.2-magnitude earthquake strikes
- New Caledonia's Independence From France 'Just a Question of Time'
- 6.2-Magnitude Earthquake Shakes Chile
- Deadly 6.4-magnitude earthquake hits tourist island near Bali
- Death toll rises as 6.4-magnitude earthquake hits tourist island near Bali
- Negotiator for Ryanair pilots warns of little time to call off two strikes ahead of new talks
- Drug bags found near new Northern Ireland play park
- Three killed as building collapses into another near New Delhi
Magnitude 7.5 earthquake strikes in Pacific near New Caledonia have 297 words, post on www.syracuse.com at December 5, 2018. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.