World Donald Trump International Affairs While President Donald Trump tweeted on Thursday that “border patrols want the wall,” thousands of them will be working without pay amid a partial government shutdown that is expected to continue through next week. Over 54,000 Border Patrol and U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents will continue working with no remuneration until the government shutdown ends, whereas clerical and nonessential staff are not working, Democratic Representative Henry Cuellar, of Texas, said, according to Laredo Morning Times and Associated Press. They will receive back pay for their time worked, Cuellar told the publication; however, he added that some of these agents may not be able to make ends meet in the meantime. They represent at least 2 percent of the Department of Homeland Security workforce, both media outlets pointed out. A U.S. Border Patrol agent arrests a group of Central American migrants after crossing the U.S.-Mexico border fence from Tijuana to San Diego County, on December 26. More than 54,000 border agents and other personnel are working without pay due to a partial government shutdown. GUILLERMO ARIAS/AFP/Getty Images Cuellar, who is part of the House Appropriations Committee, said that Congress had enacted five appropriations bills with seven… Read full this story
- EXCLUSIVE — Final Suspect in Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry’s Murder Arrested
- EXCLUSIVE — Family of Slain Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry Says Eric Holder Among ‘The Real Criminals’ Responsible
- Trump Plugs Wall After Border-Patrol Agent Is Killed in Texas
- Why Did The Border Patrol Shoot Claudia Gómez?
- Trump Says Migrants Getting Stuck Climbing New Border Wall Is A 'Beautiful Sight'—And Proof It Works
- Government shuts down on one-year anniversary of Trump presidency
- Government Shutdown: Donald Trump, Democrats Remain at Odds as Senators Propose Potential Solution
- Trump-Backed Government Shutdown Devastated Morale, Caused Lasting Damage to Federal Workforce: Report
- Fish and Wildlife Service working with Border Patrol to protect animal refuges amid border wall construction: report
- Senate sends $1.4 trillion spending package to Trump to avert government shutdown
Government Shutdown: More Than 54,000 Border Patrol Agents to Work Without Pay, While Trump Says They ‘Want the Wall’ have 326 words, post on www.newsweek.com at December 27, 2018. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.