A psychologist has expressed concern that parents could be ‘damaging’ their kids by using Elf on the Shelf in the run up to Christmas. Dr Vanessa Lapointe, a parenting expert who wrote the book Discipline Without Damage, says she disagrees with mums and dads using the elf in certain ways. And there’s one thing in particular she believes can be really unhelpful for children. The ‘naughty’ elf toy, which parents put in cheeky poses overnight so it looks like he’s been misbehaving when the children wake up in the morning, has seen a huge surge in popularity in recent years. But the psychologist takes issue with parents using it as a ‘power play’ to make kids behave with the threat that Santa won’t give them any presents. Dr LaPointe writes: ‘The Elf on the Shelf official website describes the elves as “…magical helpers that help Santa Claus manage his naughty and nice lists by reporting back to him at the North Pole nightly.” ‘No. Thank. You. ‘I can’t stand the idea of yet another concocted power-play to make kids behave – or else. It’s like the threat of a lump of coal in your stocking, merely dressed up in a… Read full this story
- Kate Middleton bans nanny from using certain word around children - 'mark of respect!'
- Parent sparks debate after claiming that lying over Santa creates "brats"
- "Awful" husband criticized over sulking attitude towards his young kids
- "Hostility": Couple slammed for forcing kids to see dad's partner as mother
- Urgent warning to parents whose kids struggle to sleep
- Horror over dad's plan to ban kids learning their mom's native language
- 7 best podcasts for new parents to listen to in 2022
- Reasons Why Boys Cut & Warning Signs for Parents about Cutting
- How to make great kids’ lunchboxes for summer picnics and save money
- Mum reveals tricks to occupy kids on weekends without spending money
Elf on the Shelf 'can be damaging to kids' if parents use it in certain way, psychologist claims have 314 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at December 6, 2018. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.