Welcome to TechCrunch’s 2018 Holiday Gift Guide! Need more gift ideas? Check out our Gift Guide Hub. The holiday season is here again, touting all sorts of kids’ toys that pledge to pack ‘STEM smarts’ in the box, not just the usual battery-based fun. Educational playthings are nothing new, of course. But, in recent years, long time toymakers and a flurry of new market entrants have piggybacked on the popularity of smartphones and apps, building connected toys for even very young kids that seek to tap into a wider ‘learn to code’ movement which itself feeds off worries about the future employability of those lacking techie skills. Whether the lofty educational claims being made for some of these STEM gizmos stands the test of time remains to be seen. Much of this sums to clever branding. Though there’s no doubt a lot of care and attention has gone into building this category out, you’ll also find equally eye-catching price-tags. Whatever STEM toy you buy there’s a high chance it won’t survive the fickle attention spans of kids at rest and play. (Even as your children’s appetite to be schooled while having fun might dash your ‘engineer in training’ expectations.) Tearing impressionable… Read full this story
- 15 uniquely cool sports-gifts ideas for the holidays
- Still not finished your Christmas shopping? The best last-minute deals on Amazon (that will arrive on your doorstep by the 25th)
- Fay Vincent Gets The Last Word
- 25 questions that will shape the college basketball season
- Galaxy, Revolution emerge as MLS Cup finalists after wild weekend
- After botching the punt, ex-Giant Matt Dodge getting a kick out of life
- Roundtable: Peering into the crystal ball for Kobe Bryant in 2015-16
- Kligerman eager for Sprint Cup debut
- After latest blunder, what should Dodgers do with Ramirez?
- 1975 World Series: An eyewitness history
The ultimate guide to gifting STEM toys: tons of ideas for little builders have 301 words, post on techcrunch.com at November 6, 2018. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.