U.S.The number of missing persons unaccounted for in the devastating Chico Fire in Northern California has declined from 993 to 699, as family, friends and neighbors continue to frantically scan social media, the Red Cross website, shelters, police stations and hospitals in the hopes of finding loved ones.Some outlets reported the missing at 1,200 last weekend.Butte County Sheriff’s Office said names remaining on the official list were reported via three missing persons hotlines, emails or 9-1-1 calls during the frantic evacuation, reports the Chico Enterprise-Record, the seemingly inexhaustible local newspaper of record since the start of the Camp Fire almost two weeks ago.While methodically sifting through the names, Butte County Sheriff Kory Honea told the Enterprise-Record that some names could be duplicates even as hundreds were taken off the list and other names added.At quick glance, many of the missing whose ages are listed tend to be elderly.Honea characterized the situation as “fluid” and that his office is working hard to release the information the best it can.“We can’t wait until the list is perfect,” he said last week. “We think it’s more important to get the names out there and try to identify people who others think are missing.”“Missing… Read full this story
- Video shows big rig taking scary tumble off Northern California highway
- Northern California at risk again after weekend Red Flag Warning
- PG&E may shut off power for 69,000 in Northern California due to fire risk
- FBI adds Jayme Closs to top missing persons list
- Can changes to California camping reservation system help with cheating, frustration?
- 'I just need to know': Missing man's New Orleans mother narrows search for her son
- ‘Red flag’ wind warnings hit Northern California — and PG&E urges customers to prepare
- Mich. State Police: Kids in missing persons sweep weren't all missing
- Retiree named interim leader of Denver district as superintendent search continues
- Northern California state park’s name sparks a debate: Is the word ‘Negro’ offensive?
Ever-changing official list of missing persons in Northern California Camp Fire posted; heartbreaking searches continue have 329 words, post on www.newsweek.com at November 20, 2018. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.