BERLIN: Jonas Hofmann hit the first hat-trick of his career on Sunday (Oct 21) as Borussia Moenchengladbach went second in the Bundesliga with a 4-0 thrashing of his former club Mainz. After their stunning 3-0 win at defending champions Bayern Munich three weeks ago, this was another big statement from Dieter Hecking and his side, who moved up into second place behind Borussia Dortmund. Gladbach’s victory leaves Bayern fourth in the table despite Munich’s 3-1 win at Wolfsburg on Saturday with ten men after Arjen Robben was sent off for a second yellow card. “It’s a bit unrealistic for us at the moment, but the fans are allowed to dream,” said Hofmann when asked if Gladbach are realistic title challengers – 31 years after last winning the Bundesliga. “If things keep going this well, then we’ll all be pretty happy here.” Hofmann, 26, spent the 2014/15 season on loan at Mainz before joining Gladbach from Dortmund in January 2016 and the box-to-box midfielder shone at Borussia Park. Gladbach took the lead when Belgium midfielder Thorgan Hazard put in a perfectly-timed pass and Hofmann fired home with 21 minutes gone. The pair then combined again in emphatic style, conjuring up three goals… Read full this story
- Robert Lewandowski’s hat-trick helps Bayern Munich thrash Werder Bremen
- Manchester City trio all get hat-tricks in crushing 10-0 win over Ipswich
- Cristiano Ronaldo hat-trick seals Real Madrid win over Bayern Munich
- Wolves' Diogo Jota hits Europa League hat-trick to leave Espanyol flailing
- Wolves 4-0 Espanyol: Jota hits another hat-trick as Nuno's men take complete control
- Cristiano Ronaldo hat-trick ensures Real Madrid turn the screw on Atlético
- Aubameyang double gives Borussia Dortmund winning start against Mainz
- Which football teams have played the most consecutive 0-0 draws?
- Premier League hits and misses: Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang irreplaceable for Arsenal
- Chelsea hit seven to surge to Premier League summit
Football: Hofmann hits hat-trick against ex-club Mainz as Gladbach go second have 300 words, post on www.channelnewsasia.com at October 22, 2018. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.