Was Sotheby’s in on the prank when that aesthetic bomb-thrower Banksy shredded his own work on the auction block this past Friday night? That story will be sorted out in the future — or not, considering that Banksy is a past master at covering his conceptual tracks — but in the meantime we turn the clock back to October of 2013. That month, Banksy gave a series of email interviews to the Voice about his “residency” in New York: Thirty-one street art works in thirty-one days. His publicist had contacted the editors the previous month and said that Banksy wanted to work with the Voice because he felt “an affinity with people who provide quality content for free on street corners.” “The plan is to live here, react to things, see the sights — and paint on them,” Banksy wrote to Voice contributor Keegan Hamilton. “Some of it will be pretty elaborate, and some will just be a scrawl on a toilet wall.” Banksy also agreed to do the cover for the October 9, 2013, issue of the Voice. Or more exactly, two alternating covers, in collaboration with the Brazilian street art duo OSGESMOS (formerly Os Gêmeos). In that edition of… Read full this story
- The Village Voice Has Shut Down And People Are Sharing Their Best Memories Of The Paper
- A White Officer Shot a Black Teenager 4 Years Ago. A Changed Chicago Awaits a Verdict.
- See how the newspaper La Raza shaped Chicano history 40 years ago
- In some small Carolina towns flooded two years ago, there may be no recovery this time
- 60 Years Ago: Many Affected By School Closings Never Graduated
- 40 years ago, the Arizona schools joined the Pac-8: An insider’s account of the process that nearly destroyed the conference
- Escape from Saigon: Find out how these refugees fled as their homeland fell 40 years ago today
- Fresno County homicide went cold years ago. Deputies now say they know who killed him
- What Did NYU Look Like 25 Years Ago?
Five Years Ago This Month, Banksy Did a ‘Residency’ in NYC, Including on the Cover of the Village Voice have 321 words, post on www.villagevoice.com at October 8, 2018. This is cached page on CuBird. If you want remove this page, please contact us.